- You should take the train instead of the bus.
-> If I were you, I’d take the train instead of the bus.
- I’m sure that someone forgot to lock the door.
–> Someone must have forgotten to lock the door.
- They bought this house ten years ago.
–> They have had/ owned this house for ten years.
- The course finished with a big party.
–> At the end of the course, there was a big party.
- We invited a pop star onto the chat show, but he didn’t turn up.
–> The pop star that/ who/ whom we invited onto the chatshow didn’t turn up.
- Although she said that she would come, I don’t think she ever will.
—> Despite her saying that she would come, I don’t think she ever will.
- The plane had hardly left the airport when the accident happened.
–> No sooner had the plane left the airport than the accident happened.
- You feel tired now because you didn’t sleep very well last night.
-> Had you slept well last night, you wouldn’t feel tired now.
- When did you start the project?
—> How long is it since you started the project ?
- Their wedding will be held in a lovely church.
–> The church where their wedding will be held is lovely.
- My father used to play football when he was young.
–> My father doesn’t play football anymore.
- Jane gave me a present on my last birthday.
–> I was given a present on my last birthday.
- “Let’s go swimming”.
–> She suggests going swimming.
- “Would you like a cup of coffee?”
–>He invited me a cup of tea.
- We got lost in the jungle because we didn’t have a map.
–> If we had a map, I wouldn’t got lost in the jungle
16.1 last saw Bob when I was in Ho Chi Minh City.
-> I haven’t seen Bob since I was in Ho Chi Minh City.
- It is a three-hour drive from Hanoi to Namdinh.
–> It takes three hours to drive from Hanoi to Namdinh.
- It’s a pity you didn’t tell us about this.
–> I wish you had told us about it.………….
- They think the owner of the house is abroad.
–> The owner of the house is thought to be abroad.
- The children couldn’t go swimming because the sea was very rough.
–> The sea was too rough for the children to go swimming.